Thursday 12 August 2010

The Fjords of Norway, Photos


Well I have just arrived in Bergen Norway after a journey that consisted of three busses, five ferries and 12 ½ hours of scenery. You may say, wow, you can keep that. But really it was WOW, WOW to the views. The journey wasn’t really that difficult. The busses went right onto the ferries and they were all pretty short crossings. The trip was from Andalsnes in the West Coast of Norway, to Bergen further south on the Coast. I can say that I don’t think a straight passage exists on a Norwegian highway or train track for that matter, as I spent the day before getting from Oslo to Andalsnes by train, also SPECTACULAR. Everything winds and bends around and through the mountains, fjords and lakes. Always one of the three to look at and then there is the road to check out. It weaves and winds up and down the Fjords and is extremely narrow in parts and when you come head on with a tractor trailer and just squeeze by each other on the side of a cliff you count your blessings and this just happens and keeps happening. The site of the trains zigzagging up, down and a across the fjords are something to see.

At one point today the bus drove by this large lake and it was the right time of day for the mountains and sky to be mirrored in the lake, it was awesome. There are many waterfalls and streams running down the Fjords that are excellent too. The pictures don’t do it justice and I just had to stop trying to capture it. I would recommend you come and see what Norway has to offer. Get out into the little towns and see it. Bring your wallet though, for your reference a can of diet Coke costs $6, she’s a little pricey in this fine country.

So after my train journey yesterday I went for a hike as you do in Norway up one of these fjords or mountains. Wow, let’s just say that is a little bit of a work out. Up, up, up, over the roots, through the roots, up rocks, down rocks, no sure footing and then you make it up there and just have to come down. It was just as bad coming down, worse on the knees actually. So as I am struggling up a buff Norwegian man with his shirt off and tight little shorts goes sprinting by me and like that wasn’t enough he lapped me coming down. There are competitions in town to see who can get up it the fastest. I would have to say if I lived in that little town I think I would get better at climbing in general, maybe even sprinting up as Andalsnes resembles a ghost town. But let’s not forget the views, once up that fjord the views were spectacular and it was worth the effort.

Check out the photos at the following link, some are through the train window so not the best quality but a little taste of Norway just the same.


Pictures of the Fjords in Norway

No comments: