Sunday 3 July 2011

The Royals and Canada Day in Ottawa


Canada Day on Parliament Hill, wow, what another great experience to add to the many I have had, did I ever luck out. I arrived in Ottawa June 30th in the evening and went for a walk of the town. I ended up on Parliament Hill to watch the rehearsal for the Canada Day festivities. I was able to sit (key word here, sit) right up front in the VIP section. A woman sitting beside me said, oh this is the only way to see the show, or the best way. There were maybe a couple of hundred people there opposed to the five hundred thousand the next day. There were two shows on Canada Day that were great. I was literally in the front row for the evening show and in the afternoon 100 – 150 meters back from the Royals. You will have to check out the photos. The entertainment was awesome, Great Big Sea, Sam Roberts Band, Dan Mangan, Jenn Grant and really cool acrobatics. Did you see me on TV? The camera guy came right up to me and had the camera on me for awhile. Dan Mangan came right out to the barricade and sang for us there.

The Royals did a surprise visit in the evening and because I was in the front row you should have seen the RCMP everywhere. There were the ones in plane cloths, the ones in all black uniforms and the ones in their regular uniform. Just before Will and Kate arrived the number of RCMPs quadrupled in the area and they brought in a bomb sniffing dog that went around the perimeter followed by two officers scanning the perimeter with two different bomb scanners. In the evening they Royals were maybe 25 meters from me.

It was something to see the sea of red and white and be part of our Nations Birthday. I was so excited to actually be in Ottawa for Canada Day. What a great experience.

Check out the photos at the following link;

Click on this link for photos from the Royal's visit in Ottawa and the Canada Day festivities on Parliament Hill

No comments: