Saturday 10 November 2012

Halloween, Backwaters and being blessed by an elephant, India and Sri Lanka


Happy Belated Halloween! We celebrated in style by carving watermelons and dressing up. It was a great time had by part of the group. There was a Thai Boxer (Michelle), a peacock (Emma), a pirate (Gabby), a cat (Cornelia), a pumpkin (Nadia) and Effie from the Hunger Games (Me). Pumpkins weren’t available so watermelons were used instead, a flashlight on a cell phone as a candle and you have a carved “pumpkin.” What creative backpackers can pull off when they use their imagination and check their packs for supplies and what you don’t have you pick up at the market or souk for less than a dollar.
I was blessed by an elephant. At one of the many temples we have visited they had an elephant for you to be blessed by. Give your donation (20 cents) to the guy or put it in the elephants trunk and it gives it to the guy for you and then it lifts its trunk and places it on your head giving you blessings. It was a cool experience and a heavy trunk.

Grace we had to be sure to keep our windows closed at one hotel to keep the monkey visitors out, I got a picture of the sign for you.

We went to a museum where they had the cloth that Gandhi was wearing when he was shot.

We visited a spice garden and had a home cooked meal served at their house on banana leaves. Their garden was jammed pack with spices and plants. It was thick jungle like and we saw some cool spiders there also, how appropriate being Halloween. We went to a tea plantation and factory. It was very informative and the aroma great. The smell of tea was thick throughout the air. We couldn’t take pictures inside the factory. But here goes the description. They pick the leaves by hand or by hand using clippers. They cut it so that there are two leaves and a bud on each piece. It gets dried, chopped, mashed, dried and packed. It goes from being a bright green leaf to looking like ground dirt. As we were driving there were women picking so we were able to stop and check out their efforts in the tea fields.

We had a home stay in the Backwaters it would have been nicer to have had more time there. The Backwaters are manmade rivers that flow through Kerala. There was wealth there and our home stay was in a huge house with many bedrooms and common areas. Not what I expected to see in India. The children are picked up by boat or canoe so I got some school boat and school canoe photos. Mable was the daughter of the people we were staying with and we had extra watermelons so we continued Halloween for another day and carved them with her, a first for her to celebrate Halloween.

I have left India now and am in the Maldives. I had a stopover in Sri Lanka and with permission from the Chief Immigration officer I was allowed to leave the airport and have an afternoon in Sri Lanka waiting for my transfer. I just asked if I could go out of the airport and it was ask this person at transfers, ask this person at Immigration, ask the Chief Immigration officer who asked someone else and it was yes, yes. It sounds complicated but only took 10 minutes. So I changed $10 for the day if you can believe it and still had over $2 left after taking 4 bus rides, two tuk tuk rides, buying three drinks and a key chain. A good cheap excursion and better than sitting in the airport all day. Also because I was in transit I was given a free meal at the airport that I ate once I returned. I wasn’t delayed this was my regular scheduled flight but when I arrived I was told that people in transit must go to the transit desk so I did and they gave me a meal voucher. It was unusual, but nice.

It was a great month in India with great people and wonderful experiences.    



No comments: