Thursday 5 March 2009

Crop Over Barbados and photos

Barbados is fabulous, so great that I extended my stay. I met Carl and Helen last night for supper and drinks and they brought me my pictures from Crop Over. When I was here in the summer Carl took me to the Crop Over celebrations and it was such an interesting experience. I lost my photos after we had uploaded some onto Carl’s computer so they were able to give me a copy of them. Here is the link to the photos followed by a story about Crop Over. Sorry I guess you are going to have to copy and paste the link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/CropOverBarbados#

Crop Over is a huge celebration here. We went to the parade that takes eight hours in the sweltering heat. The people in the parade are drinking and dancing very sexually the whole time. I think there were 23 floats and each float consists of the following; a flat bed truck at the beginning with the DJ and stereo equipment, 200-300 people dressed scantily clad in one colour corralled together with ropes to keep them in, then another truck with the bar on it, tons of 60 pounders of rum on it and runners to take the drinks to the people in the parade, then two coke trucks to keep the mix and beer cold, another flat bed truck with six or eight portable washrooms followed by an ambulance and then it repeats, another DJ truck 200 -300 of a different colour and so on. I thought by the end of the parade these people will be naked and frolicking in the street. It was a real Bajan experience.

No comments: