Wednesday 12 August 2009

Weekend with Erin, Pictures


You have got to love Europe. I have been hopping countries left right and center this weekend. I had the opportunity to have a last visit with Erin in Germany on the weekend so I took the train from Amsterdam to meet her on Saturday. It was a good visit. She also had a friend Julie from Vancouver staying with her for the weekend. We had an interesting little outing to a Retro Gaming place where you pay three Euro for unlimited gaming. You name it it is there, Packman, Pinball, Sega, etc etc. If you know me I am not a video game person and I sucked, but it was fun and I did improve.

Sunday we decided to go to France for lunch. You know, don't you just go to France for lunch? Got to love it. It was about an half and hour drive. We went to Wissembourg, a quaint town, walked around and took in the lovely flowers and buildings. Then we hit a man made beach at a quarry in France for some sun and swimming.

Monday I headed to Bonn Germany by train. I was to take a boat cruise on the Rhine to get there, but couldn't make the connection as there was "danger on the tracks" and trains were not running to the station I needed. This was a big walking day for me with my pack and extra bag I now have. I am feeling it in the legs. I had a 15 minute walk in the train station at the airport to switch from a long distance train to a regional train. It is all inside and part of the airport, up and down escalators and all around. Once arriving at the Regional Train area I was sent back to the Long distance trains and another 15 minute walk do to this "danger on the tracks." Anyway. Made it to Bonn, also a lovely town. It is where Beethoven was born. Once arriving in the town I continued my weighed down work out as the street the hostel was on was like no other I have seen before. It was really two streets far apart. Making kind of an L shape. I could find buildings 6 and 8 and odd numbers from 21, but not the 7 I was looking for. Finally I found it a good 10 minute walk from where 6 or 8 are and dropped off those bags. My shoulders were thanking me for that by this point.

From there I headed to Luxembourg because why not. It is lovely and I love when you are pleasantly surprised by a place. I didn't have any former knowledge or expectations and it is fantastic.

Click here to the pictures from the weekend with Erin

No comments: