Monday 3 August 2009

WW I sites, Belgium, Pictures and Videos

This picture is taken at the Memorial to John McCrae who wrote in Flander's Field. I have gone off the "backpackers" beaten track and come to Ypres a village in Belgium. So off the track there are no hostels here. I am staying in a B and B owned by a lovely old lady in a house from 1926 with 10' ceilings. I am so glad I came off the beaten track and visited Flander's fields. WOW! I was at the site today where John McRae wrote his famous poem back in 1915. Ypres is where the Last Post is played each evening at 8pm, so you know where I have been. There was so much destruction here during WW I it is hard to take it all in. Around every corner is another cemetery with some known and many only known to God soldiers gravestones. The Last Post is played at the Menin Gate each evening by buglers from the local fire brigade. There was a regiment from Eastern Belgium last night to partcipate in the ceremonies. Each day there is some type of ceremony. It was excellent. I videoed it and hopefully can post it for you to see. If you think you can use any of the pictures or videos for your purposes, as I know many a teacher is reading this, feel free. This area is so moving. At the Commonwealth Cemetery we saw two new graves that were where two soldiers were only laid to rest 10 days ago. There bodies were discovered by a farmer. On the way to the Cemetery we had to pull over to see shells that were at the side of the road. A farmer had uncovered them when plowing the field and put them at the side of the road for pick up. Three were still potentially live. It is a full time job, job for life, detonating shells. Over 200 tons are collected each year. I visited original support trenches from WW I and saw the Canadian Memorial at Vancouver Corner, where the first gas attack occurred. On a differnt note. Belgium has wonderful food, beer, chocoate and waffles. I have enjoyed trying all of these. The Kriek (Cherry) beer is great and I have been having lots for you Erin. (She cann't get it in Germany.) In Ghent on Saturday morning I walked past City Hall and they were lined up to get in and be married. It was interesting to watch the goings on of the corner all waiting to get in. One group of black people had the most life, throwing rice, dancing and singing in the street. Again the architecture is fantastic, but different in Belgium. I have found some new (old) dormer designs for the Moloney boys to incorporate into their many dormers. (They love putting dormers on places.) Well I am really enjoying my history lessons over here. I have always wanted to come to Flander's fields and I am so glad I am here. I must go the Last Post will be taking place soon.

Click here for Ypres WWI site photos and pictures from Belgium







1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Sarah
Great to see your blog - Carol was telling me about the fact that you were in belgium - Karen and I were at the Menin Gate June 30, 2009 - very moving - we travelled to alot of the same places that you did - Did you get up to Passchendaele? Have a great conclusion to your trip
Burke Lush