Friday 23 July 2010

St Petersburg Russia, Pictures


St Petersburg is awesome but we have done so much, I have to say I am tired, so this will be short. We arrived at 7am yesterday, got a shower, yeah and went on a walking tour at 9am. We then climbed St Isaac’s Church to see the view and wondered the streets along the rivers and canals. I didn’t know this but St Petersburg is full of over 60 rivers and canals and they were going to call it New Amsterdam at one point. We then had dinner and got a little more cultured by attending the ballet, Swan Lake. Then we went on a river boat cruise to see the rising of the bridges which is done every night at 2am to let the ships and large boats through. Needless to say I am a little tired after that action packed day and oh yes, no air conditioning anywhere, yes none at the hotel and it is again over 40 degrees. But we are surviving; I am not saying that to complain, just making note of it for you. Then if that wasn’t enough we went to the Hermitage today and oh my god that place is the biggest museum I have ever seen, and I have been to the Louver. The Hermitage was built in the 17 century and is full of art work Catherine the Great collected. There are over 3 million exhibits in 400 halls and there are 20 times more than what you can see in vaults. But the buildings, oh my, they are enough on their own. The architecture, ceilings, crown molding, massive, massive rooms, and every floor having a different mosaic pattern of hardwood. I was happy to just check out the halls, let alone the art work on the walls by Picasso and Monet to name only a couple.
Check out the link for pictures from St Petersburg Russia
Pictures of St Petersburg Russia

*

No comments: