Thursday 27 December 2012

Antarctica Round One

Antarctic golf with a penguin caddy. 

Antarctica wow, how do I say this, it was so good I am going back. Yes that is right, 10 days of amazing scenery, people, nature and laughs. Not enough time to process what I have seen as there was always so much to see and do. You couldn’t go to sleep because you might miss a whale spotting and it was light out for 22 hours of the day and one wanted to see sunset and sunrise on the icebergs and the on goings on the bridge watching the captain and his crew work there just wasn’t enough time for me to document what has been happening in a blog post or my journal. If you weren’t on deck watching the penguins swim and fly through the air or a humpback whale breaching you were in the lecture room receiving a presentation from one of the eight or so biologists on board to teach you about what you were seeing and then the friends I met, god we had good times and my cheeks are still sore from laughing continuously. The food what can I say, amazing. Backpackers are not use to three courses meals three times a day, wow, Roger the baker and his fresh hot bread at each meal. So on a whim and a prayer is that how it goes, no on a whim I saw a sign listing a last minute deal I couldn’t resist and so I booked it and I leave less than 24 hours later this time for 19 days. So in total it will be almost a month in Antarctica. That was the last continent for me to visit and well it appears I have started the process again. How lucky I am.

Zodiac cruises through the icebergs, spectacular, penguins squawking, seeing a penguin chick hatch, taking the plunge into 0 – 1 degree Celsius Antarctic water, crazy fun, what an experience. Incredible weather, being able to hike up a mountain in my t-shirt one day, going through the roughest sea in the world in record time, not having to puke for the expected two days because God was on our side and made the passage smooth, therefore allowing for an early arrival by seven hours and therefore an extra expedition to land. Hurry up and vacuum your outer cloths so we can get into the zodiac and go to land. They didn’t want to contaminate Antarctica with foreign seeds or plants so a good vacuuming is in order. Seeing seals, having a barbq in Antarctic waters surrounded by beautiful mountains and icebergs, wow what an epic adventure. I am spoiled for sure, but my siblings have been saying that for years. So what else is new, oh yes I am going to Antarctica for a second time. Stay tuned.
A Humpback Whale breaching 
The link at the bottom has about a tenth of the pictures I took, but I tried to limit it for you, even though you could just shoot and not use the view finder as every shot was beautiful.   

PS Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. All the best for 2013. Christmas was different, but great, spaghetti, barbqs and Santa with an orange beard stay tuned. 








A plunge into the Antarctic waters
Just another day at the beach


Click on this link for some of the photos from Antarctica


Check out my friend Ruth's blog also, she documented some of it day by day http://gon​eirianboth​arleat.wor​dpress.com



No comments: