Tuesday 8 May 2007

Elephant Ride - Pictures - Chiang Mai - Thailand

Had an amazing action packed day yesterday. I went on an excursion that consisted of a visit to a village where the “Long neck” tribe lives, an elephant ride for an hour, a caged cable ride over the river, lunch, two hour trek to a waterfall, white water rafting and bamboo rafting.

The long necks were very interesting to check out. Only girls have the wire around their necks and they get it on at age five. Originally it was to prevent tigers from attacking their necks. Now it is for tradition and beauty. Every two years they take it off for cleaning.

There were eight people on my tour and I was the only one that paid to do the Long neck tour part. So I was the only tourist in the village as it is the slow season.

I went for an hour long elephant ride through the jungle it was great. There were two people on each elephant. Oh yes all the people on my tour were French, all from France, though they did not know each other.

We took turns sitting on the front of the elephant it was great. Better than the basket. However the elephant had coarse hairs that were prickly on the legs. Its ears kept flapping my legs as it was swatting flies.

We rode across the river in a cage on a cable line, had lunch and trekked through the jungle to get to a waterfall. The terrain was really rough and my running shoes were slippery when climbing over the large rocks.

We went white water rafting. It was stunning going through the jungle on the river with a few rapids here and there. Then we switched to a bamboo raft to finish the trip.

I then was dropped off in the town to catch the local bus to Pai instead of going an hour back to Chiang Mai and then to Pai. I was to catch the bus on the way through. It already went through. So the guides talked to the rice shop owner who said a mini bus will be going through in half an hour, so I should wait.

I waited with the rice shop owner who was having a swally with the local police man who was in uniform. The cop took a fancy to me and made sure I got on the mini bus ok and that I was set. Me and 12 Thai’s in a mini bus (van). At least we had our own seat unlike that mini bus in Cambodia I took a picture of.

98km’s and three hours latter on the curviest road I have been on in my life we made it to Pai. The guide book says go on an empty stomach if you get motion sickness and for good reason. There was not a single straight stretch. It was crazy. The scenery was breathtaking though. Through the mountains, no towns or lights, just forest and jungle as the sun was setting. I wish I could have captured it in a picture, but too many turns.

I arrived in Pai in the dark and was not met for the first time by a convoy of people offering rides. So I set out walking. The town has a population of 3000 people and it is lovely. I asked an Irish guy at the stop light where Paddy Fields was and he did not know. Kim had suggested that place to me. He drove over to a shop and asked a guy who said the general direction. So the Irish man offered me a ride on his motorbike. I hopped on with my backpacks and was off over the bridge. I was glad I had a ride, it was a far walk, but we were not able to find it in the dark. I opted for another place close by and set out today to find it. As it turns out I will stay where I am as it is a really nice place for cheap. The room is massive, has a bathroom, with hot water, toilet paper and a shower curtain. Hot water and shower curtain I have not had in a long time and Thailand does not supply toilet paper. They use a “bum gun” a hose to spray themselves off and then pull up their pants, with a wet butt. Toilet paper is easily assessable in shops, so I just carry it with me, as do most travelers. It is the low season so my room was a steal.

Pai is an amazing town to just chill out in. I will enjoy one of the many hammocks for the next few days before heading to Laos for the Gibbon Experience.

Check out the following link for pictures of my elephant excursion.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/ElephantRide

No comments: