Sunday 7 August 2011

Rihanna Concert in Barbados


Well it has been another world wind past few days. I thought I was just chilling on the beach for this part of the trip. Not always the case. On Friday four of us headed out to Crane Beach voted one of the top ten beaches in the world. We took the local bus for a dollar. The beach had lots of seaweed as it has been washed up with the storms. It was still good. We then took a visit to The Crane Hotel and used the facilities, swimming in their pool and washing the salt water off. I did smash into the rocks on a walking path there and my camera, knee and banana took the brunt of the fall. All are still in working order though. It was just a scratch this time on the outside of the camera Carol.

In the evening we headed down to the Oval for the Rihanna concert. Rihanna is from Barbados and this was her first concert at home after making it big. I had no intension of going to the concert and was just going to people watch and listen from outside the oval as it was an outdoor venue. But we were able to get $50 tickets, which was less than the original price so we went in. It was packed 30 000 people in there. The women were dressed to the nines in “prom” dresses and five inch stilettos. We were on the grounds in the standing area and as luck would have it I ended up right beside a fellow PVNC employee Donnalynn Paquette. Without the aid of technology guiding us to each other, i.e. no texting, I just looked over and was literally standing right beside her. The concert was good and I was surprised at how many songs I actually knew. It was mayhem trying to get a taxi after the show but again this time you just people watch and watch those women limping away carrying the shoes.

Today we headed out to Bathsheba which is on the East Coast of the island and about an hour bus ride away again for a dollar. It is a surfer’s paradise.

Tomorrow starts the Caribbean Union of Teacher’s Conference and I will attend tomorrow’s session which should also be interesting. It just happened that I am here while the conference is on so I have been invited to attend.

Click on this link for photos from the Rihanna Concert and Barbados

No comments: