Tuesday 2 August 2011

A wet Barbados Crop Over


All is well in the Barbados. It has been a nice time so far with relaxing on the beach, reading and liming (a Caribbean term which means chilling out). Sunday was an interesting day. I have a quote; “a good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” That sums it up. I took the bus to church in the morning. The music down here is great. They always welcome the visitors and wish Happy Birthday and Anniversary to those celebrating during the week. I note this as it is a welcoming thing to do. On my way back “home” I saw that Selvi and Eddie’s vehicle was in the driveway so I got out at the next stop and walked back to their place. I surprised them they didn’t know I was on the island. So three bottles of wine later (and I don’t usually drink wine) and good conversation we were caught up. Five minutes later and I would have missed them as Eddie was going to pop into work. Needless to say he didn’t go in that day and limed with me. My other friends Helen and Carl just left the island after living here for six years, three weeks ago and small world, Helen is going to teach in Hong Kong at the school I have visited where Christine Bucholtz used to work. It is a crazy small world.

August 1 is the main day of Crop Over the biggest celebration of the year on the island. There was a parade through the town with people dressed scantily clad marching through the town drinking, dancing and having a real mash up (another Caribbean term that means a great time or blast). I love this parade can you imagine having a big transport truck at the front of each group blasting out the tunes, followed by the booze truck, followed by the coke, mix truck, two hundred people roped in in their costumes dancing and drinking through the streets and then the truck with the porta potties and then it repeats and repeats and repeats as there are 21 groups. It sure is a sight and today it rained on them but they didn’t let this bug them. It just kept them a little cooler I guess.

When I was here for Crop Over in 2008 it was one of the hottest days I have ever experienced with the sun beating down, it was all we could do to keep hydrated with water and this year we were saturated to the bone as it ended up pouring rain. We were soaked right through and stayed that way for hours.

You can check out photos from Crop Over at the following link;
Click on this link for photos of Barbados Crop Over 2011

As I post this I realize I have not taken any photos of the lovely white sand beaches here, I never take my camera to the beach as it is just one more thing to worry about. Over the remaining days I will have to take some for you.

No comments: