Friday 1 May 2009

Switzerland World Hockey Championships, pictures


Well I made it to Switzerland yesterday at about 2:30 in the afternoon and found out the World Hockey Championships are on in Bern and Zurich. I am staying in Bern, the capital. I went to the tourist office and found a hostel and while there I was able to buy a ticket to the 4:15 game with Russia against Sweeden. When in Rome, why not. Oh yeah, I am not there anymore. The ticket was about 59 dollars. So I rushed to the hostel, down and up these huge inclines, dropped off my backpack, changed rushed back to the center caught the street car and went to the arena. It was an awesome game and I made it on time. I was in the standing area. Most people stand to watch the games here. They actually had to install seats especially for the tournament. The Russians won in overtime. It was a fantastic game and I met some extream Swiss fans while I was there. They dressed me up in their flag and sunglasses and bought me beers. There was a double header last night and they were staying for the Swiss game as well, so were in their Swiss gear. That game was sold out so I stayed at the arena and watched it and the Canada game going on in Zurich on the big screens in a tent/bar out front of the arena. After there was a band that played in the tent. It was such a cool experience. There were fans everywhere with flags, drums and anything that would make noise.

Switzerland is beautiful and the people are lovely. I think I will stay here for a few days, who knows I may make it back to the arena. My hostel has kept me with the fact that they serve a free breakfast complete with a machine that dispenses hot milk and they have awesome Swiss hot chocolate mix to put in it. Little things please me and especially chocolate.

Click on the link for the Switzerland pictures

No comments: