Wednesday 4 May 2011

Easter Island


Easter Island is incredible. Coming here was a big wish for me so to be here is awesome. It is a small island 3800 km off the coast of Chile with one main street and everything shipped in. It has red dirt and beautiful coastal walks. I hiked up to a volcano on my own, a five hour around trip expedition with incredible views and a good workout. It did rain so that red dirt turned into mud and covered my shoes and legs. The temperature averages about 75 degrees here so the rain was refreshing. I was caught in a downpour a couple of times yesterday and overnight it poured rain. I wish I had dad’s rain gauge to calculate how much actually fell. So today is a catch up day and a day of staying out of the continuous rain. I cannot complain this is my first day of rain and it looks like it is braking just in time to grab something to eat.
It is low season so there are not many people around even though the plane was full coming over and it was a large plane. At the top of the volcano there is a National Park and a neat “Birdman ceremonial village” to visit. I ran into two people once I made it to the top of the volcano. The serenity is incredible here.
Now Easter Island and it’s Moai (statues) that is why I am here. They are incredible, huge things all along the coast. They are so cool. Here is a taste of the ones just around where I am staying. Stay tuned for more to come.
Click on this link for some of the photos from Easter Island

No comments: