Friday 6 May 2011

More Easter Island


Easter Island (Rapa Nui) is incredible. I know that is what I keep saying, but it is. There are about 5000 people who live on the island and all in the undeveloped town. Which I told you has one main street a couple of blocks in length. Yesterday I toured all around the island and the coast is just open fields and coastline. There are no houses out there and this prime real estate, I know it always comes back to real estate is just out there for the wild horses and cattle to graze on. I was told there is only electricity and water in the town.

Today I took a taxi inland to Ahu Akivi, a site where seven statues are. It is the only place where the statues face the water. I took the taxi there and then wanted to walk the coastline back to town. Unheard of (with the locals) everyone wanted to make sure I was ok to walk back and I kept getting asked at sites along the way if I would like a ride back to town, lovely and very nice of the people to ask, but I just wanted a little exercise, fresh air and the beautiful coastal view. I got it. About a six or eight kilometer hike. I think most people are rushed for days on the island and rent a car, scooter or driver. I have lots of time and that was my plan for the day, walk the coast. On the way back to town I passed the dive shop and signed myself up for a dive tomorrow morning, then maybe the beach.

Click on the following link for tons of pictures from Easter Island, also known as Rapa Nui.

PS: It is seven bucks a kilo to get your laundry done here typically I would weigh in with five kilos but luckily now I don't need my warm cloths washed (as it is hot here) and only had one kilo. Just a price point for you.

Click on this link for more photos of Easter Island

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Reading your blog is WAY better than planning tomorrow's lesson! Sounds like Easter Island is a dream come true for you!

Sarah Moloney said...

It sure is.