Tuesday 24 April 2007

Angkor - Siem Reap Cambodia, Pictures

I have been visiting the Angkor temples in Siem Reap for the last couple of days. It was magnificent. There are so many temples and each one is different. They were made between 900 – 1100, I believe. Don’t quote me on that, a long time ago. It is hard to believe they could have made such fascinating buildings so long ago and today the country is in poverty. It is said that Cambodia was the center of the globe at that time. They think that the population around the temples was over a million people and London England was only 50 000 people.

They do have the tourist thing down though, when it comes to visiting the temples. The roadways between the temples are paved and tree lined. It is a gorgeous ride between them. The temples were spectacular. It was so relaxing walking around them and through the jungle in parts to get to them. I did not expect to be able to go into them, but you can climb all over them. Kim from South Africa and I visited them together. It was so much fun and we did a lot of climbing.

At one temple I was climbing down the narrow steep steps and ended up missing three steps. You should have heard the gasps from the people sitting below having a drink. It was funny, but not at the time. I landed on my feet thank god, but my heart was racing.

I highly recommend a visit to Siem Reap to visit the temples. They are spectacular. I think in the future you will not be able to tour around inside them, or climb on them. That was really cool. It was so much fun and good exercise and the heat, 40 degrees over here. Needless to say it was a hot, hot couple of days.

The pass to get into the temples was $40 for 2 or 3 days and $20 for one day. We rented a tuc, tuc to take us between the temples as they can be up to 30km’s apart and that cost us $15 each, for two days.

It was awesome visiting the magnificent temples. My favorite was Bayon. It had 56 towers with 216 faces “watching” over the people of Cambodia.

I took tons of pictures; check them out at the following link.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/AngkorSiemReapCambodia

3 comments:

UNKNOWN said...

Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. prince group cambodia

UNKNOWN said...

very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! check this out

UNKNOWN said...

Yes i am totally agreed with this article and i just want say that this article is very nice and very informative article.I will make sure to be reading your blog more. You made a good point but I can't help but wonder, what about the other side? !!!!!!THANKS!!!!!! neak oknha chen zhi