Wednesday 11 April 2007

Cambodia - Phnom Penh link to pictures too

I am in Phnom Penh Cambodia. I had no trouble at the boarder. The boarder crossing has an impressive building that you cross through with lots of gold turets etc. Then instantly there is poverty. The security guard was trying to make a fast buck by asking people for there immunization cards and if you did not have one, charged you a dollar. They are not required, but I happened to have mine in case I have to go to the hospital I can show what shots I have had.

The Cambodians are lovely, friendly people. I went to a museum about the killing fields today. It is a former high school turned into a torture center and now a museum. All but seven people I believed were killed in the killing fields after being detained here. There were corpses and bones on display and a lot of black white photos capturing the torture. Over two million people were killed during this regime. It made you speachless. It took me back working in a high school and to see this one converted to a detension and torture center. The life these people lived is unbelievable. For example they killed people who wore glasses as it was a sign of intellegence and killed all the educated. They also starved them for years and made them travel all of the country trying to get away. I just finished an interesting book about a girl and her families experience during this time.

I also went to the market. The best market yet. Good shopping deals and cloths. Wish I had more room in my bag.

Tomorrow is the start of their New Year and there will be celebrations for the next few days. I am going to a house for underprivledged children tomorrow. I will help with a games day for the kids to celebrate the New Year. It is from 9 - 3pm and should consist of potato sack races etc. There are a lot of orphans here and lots of places where you can help out.

I was able to easily post pictures today and add captions.

Click on the link for pictures of Dalat, Saigon, Mekong Delta and Cambodia

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/VietnamAndCambodia

No comments: