Friday 27 April 2007

Thailand -Bangkok

I arrived in Bangkok the other day. It was an interesting ride and I am glad I had Kim with me to help me find where to stay. She has been here before and knew where to go from where the bus dropped us off. The trip from Siem Reap took 13 hours and started off on a rough road with many pot holes and a lot of dust. The road was not paved that we traveled on for the first 6 hours. The busses air conditioning was not working and the windows were open. By the time we made it to the boarder some of the people's white shirts were covered in red dirt. It would remind you of PEI with the red dirt. Once making it to the boarder, the boarder crossing was pretty dirty and nothing like the nice one between Vietnam and Cambodia. We had to walk through the boarder with our bags and then a ways to meet another bus. This bus was something. It was a double decker so you climb up and into the purple interior studded, mirrored ceiling bus, with great air conditioning. It was an interesting looking bus, it was very clean and cool, but reminded me of some cheesy bar or strip club with it's interior.

Day two in Bangkok resulted in me being sick in Bangkok, not sick of Bangkok but sick. I had to go to the Chinese Ambassy to get my VISA for there. I went by bus (old crappy one) and subway. It was a trec and people were so nice trying to help me get there. I finally got there waited and waited and then waited more when they said it could be ready in three hours. So I went to a food court and the smell of the food sent me to the bathroom. I thought I was going to throw up and I had it bad out the other end. So back to the Ambassy to wait in their lobby, I fell asleep and the guy says no sleeping as I was sitting on the stairs. I ended up vomiting all over their toilet and getting my visa. I took the subway back and then a bus. The bus was terrible. It was so hot and full of people and over an hour long in stop and go rush hour traffic. So I was a sight to not be seen. I vomited into a bag a couple of times and out the window a couple more times. I asked the ticket collector on the bus to tell me when to get off. So there is a tap on my shoulder and I stagger out of the bus, through the people to puke again this time on a tree, then another tree down the road. I was in terrible shape. I made it back to the room to see Kim off (she was going to the south on a 15 hour overnight bus) and visited the toilet many more times and called it a night. I did sleep not too bad and took it slow this morning to see where I was at. I ended up going to the Royal Palace which was beautiful with all it's ornate gold. That was all I could handle in the heat and I have not been sick today. Thank god. Anyway happy to not be puking.

No comments: