Monday 2 April 2007

Natasha has arrived in Nha Trang

Good morning. Natasha has arrived after a long adventure from Thailand to Vietnam by bus, ferry, raft and motorbike. I think it took three full days traveling day and night to cross from Bangkok to Nha Trang. She is safe and sound with a crazy story to tell about how she made it to Nha Trang.

Yesterday we had an action packed day. We went on the boat at 8am and I did two dives. Natasha snorkeled at the same locations. On my dives I saw a large eel, scorpion fish and lots of large coral. It was great. The visibility was 15 – 18m. They were great dives. In the afternoon we hung out by the pool and relaxed. After a shower we went to the spa and treated ourselves to facials, oh the luxury and so different from the north of Vietnam. I would not dare have that done there. It is much poorer and dirtier in the north. We then went for supper and had an amazing meal. We had a seafood hotpot (similar to a fondue), rice, spring rolls, brushetta, grapefruit shape, coconut juice and regular beverages all for under $3.50 each. I was so full. I love trying the different shakes and food. I have been having fabulous seafood and it is so cheap. The other night I had mussels, scallops, rice a salad and a Heineken for $3. That was at a nice restaurant that actually has starched cloth napkins that they lay across your lap.

I have included a link to some more pictures. Natasha and I on the boat. Milla who I dove with, Rusty with his new students in the open water course. The Beer Hoi (a local establishment) where they serve beer for 75 cents for a 2L pitcher or 15 cents a glass. Notice the size of the chairs. They are children’s chairs at home, but are often found in the local restaurants and shops. They also have smaller stools they sit on that are only six inches off the ground and would be a child’s foot stool at home. They must have great thigh muscles as they squat all the time. Their bum cheeks sit on their heels. This is a common sitting position. A picture of the room that is $7 without air conditioning and $8 with air conditioning a night. Then two silk embroidered pictures that I took a picture of. You can not tell they are embroidered they look like they are painted. The detail in the one of the old man was amazing. The work at this gallery was stunning.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/NhaTrangNatashaBoatTrip

No comments: