Wednesday 27 June 2007

Dubai U.A.E. - Pictures

Well I had an action packed few days in Dubai. It was great. What an interesting city. The place is completely under construction. Skyscrapers going up everywhere and therefore cranes everywhere you look. The workers work 24 hours a day 7 days a week, in the heat, oh the heat. It was 44 degrees Celsius each day. It was ok though as it was a dry heat. The suns rays during the day burn off the humidity so I was not sweating profusely.

I went on a desert safari and went off-roading in an SUV over the sand dunes. It was scary. I thought we were going to roll the vehicle cutting across the sand dune sideways and sliding the other way. I got some confidence in our driver and then had a great experience. It was so cool. I even got to drive. That was crazy. It was pitch black and you didn’t know what was ahead after cresting the dune. It was awesome. I also went for a ride on a camel in the desert. It was a little bumpy, but very cool.

I went on a tour around the city for the day and saw all the buildings, malls and hotels, I don’t know who is staying in these places but they are extremely expensive and there are so many of them. The construction is fascinating I don’t know where the people are all coming from or for what. It is hard to believe they need so many buildings being built at once.

The malls are massive. Think of the largest mall you have been to and multiply its ground floor by 2 then add 6 stories. I went downhill skiing at the mall. Yes you read that correctly. It was 44 degrees outside and I was inside skiing on snow. It was interesting. For $50 you can ski for 2 hours. The cost includes skis, boots, poles, socks, a jacket and pants. Luckily Christine loaned me a toque and mitts for Africa so I was able to use those. You were to provide your own mitts and hat, or buy theirs. Speaking of which. I am now in South Africa and went from a temperature of 44 degrees Celsius to 4 degrees Celsius. The people at the airport in their snowsuits didn’t know what to think of my shorts.

May not be as frequent with the updates now, but I will try. I am doing a 25 day overland safari through Africa. It should be great.

Check out the following link for photos. Again it seems you will have to copy the address into the toolbar.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/Dubai

No comments: