Friday 8 June 2007

Xian China - Pictures and 2 Videos

I am in Xian, which is in the center of China. It is home of the Terra Cotta Warriors. They were so cool. They are life size warriors made over 2000 years ago. It is thought they were created to protect the Emperor’s tomb. (Don’t quote me on that though.) Anyone I ask is not to sure why they were made. No one is left from 2000 years ago to ask. Farmers digging a well discovered them in 1974. There are horses, chariots and over 6000 life size warriors all made from clay. There are also chariots made from bronze. They believe more are still to be discovered. It was really interesting and to think of the time and money spent 2000 years ago to make these objects. It fascinates me the money these kings and emperors spent on there empires, temples, forbidden cities, walls etc.

In China there are many different “tribes” of people, for lack of a better word. They have very distinct facial characteristics. In Xian there is a large Chinese/Muslim community. I visited their mosque yesterday. It has a beautiful courtyard. I was surprised we did not have to cover our heads, but then we did not actually go into the prayer house, so maybe that is why. The Muslim quarter in Xian is lovely to walk through. It has many venders selling souvenirs, clothing and food. It is a nice old Islamic/Chinese neighborhood.

It was mighty hot yesterday with temperatures above 38 degrees. Today I set out and was presently surprised when the temperature was in the mid twenties.

I went to the city wall today. It is a wall that goes 14km’s around the city in a rectangular pattern. The wall is 12m high and 12 – 18m wide. I did not realize when you go to walk or ride (a bicycle) around the wall you actually do it on top of the wall. It was very peaceful to check out the city from 12m above the ground riding the bicycle I rented. You rent the bike for 100 minutes at a cost of $3.50 and are told to watch the time. I made it around the wall in 80 minutes.

I went to “The Big Wild Goose Pagoda” last night. That is really its name and I have no idea why. It was a tall building that looked like a tower. Anyway at this place there were thousands of locals enjoying the scenery, weather and a little dance. It looks like they are line dancing, but they are doing traditional Chinese dances in the park. Then at the other end of the Pagoda there are many fountains and thousands of people around them watching them rise and fall to music blaring in the background. It was really nice all lit up in the evening. I may visit it again tonight. It reminded me of the Peterborough Festival of Lights, when people watch the boats with Christmas lights on their masts drive around to the music. This was Xian’s version, fountains going up and down to music.

Speaking of lights, man this town does not conserve energy. It is lit up more then Time Square. They even have rope lighting on the guardrails of the highway. I was reminded of the tower at the Galaxy Theater in Peterborough with its lights that go up and down. Now picture a city with skyscrapers in the distance all doing this. It is interesting to travel around here in the evening.

Xian is lovely. Moving on tomorrow evening to Chengdu and Wolong, which are literally in the middle of China. I will volunteer there at a Panda Research Center.

I forgot to tell you about the picture of the pool I have included. Kirsty’s building has a small weigh room and pool. It is a lovely community but they were not having people come look at it. People when looking for housing wanted 2 or 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a pool and a gym. This place did not have the pool and gym so they created each. This brings the people in and then they never use either. I included a picture of the pool for you as it is a funny narrow looking thing.

Click on the following links for pictures and videos. Sorry I had trouble with the vertical pictures again. You will have to tilt your head.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/InterestingPool

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=917238949394158275

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7234336642554213816

No comments: