Tuesday 19 June 2007

Hong Kong Pictures and Video

I have been touring around Hong Kong for the past few days. I have used the subway, bus, tram and my feet. It has been cool to tour all over the city. Not cool temperature wise though. It is in the high, high 30’s. I went to the Peak and had a great view of the islands and harbour. I took the Peak Tram to get to the top of the hill. It was so steep the car was on a 45-degree angle. Once at the top I had lunch over looking the harbour at Bubba Gump Shrimp restaurant. It has tons of pictures and paraphernalia from the movie Forest Gump. I also did a very nice 3km circular walk around the Peak through nice vegetation.

Today was a holiday and there was a Dragon Boat Festival on. I took the bus to the other side of the island and checked out the festivities. It was busy. Tons of people around and bad, bad traffic. The festival was neat though. It was just like our festivals at home. There were lots of business, schools and corporations competing against each other in matching outfits. One team had on long sleeve shirts and hoodies. I couldn’t believe their outfits, it was so hot today. They must have been boiling. April (Christine’s roommate) was competing. She was the drummer and was knocked out of the boat during the day. She is not home yet, so I do not have all the details.

It has been very interesting to just people watch and walk the steep streets. Tomorrow I am on my way to Macau, an island that will take one hour to get to my boat.

Check out the following links for pictures and a video of the Dragon Boat Festival. You may have to copy the link into your web address because it seems to not be doing the direct link again.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/HongKong

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2341545073049138307

No comments: