Friday 22 June 2007

Macau and Hong Kong - Pictures

I took an hour-long ferry ride to Macau the other day. It is an island off of Hong Kong that is part of China but it too has a separate currency. I got 5 stamps in the passport that day, coming back and forth.

Macau is a nice island with many heritage places to visit and lots of shopping for those that would like that. I am a shopper and I was turned off. I was really hungry and I headed for the ferry area to grab a bite to eat before returning to Hong Kong. There was nothing to be had in the general vicinity. So I walked up the street and saw a mall. I figured it would have a food court and I would be able to grab something there. Well the mall was packed. I mean worse then Christmas Eve shopping at home. There were people everywhere and the cashiers had lineups of at least 50 people deep. It was nuts. I was not able to get anything to eat and was hardly able to get out of the place. They had all the exits and the elevator blocked with merchandize or locked. Talk about a big old fire hazard. I tried 5 exits before I was able to get out of the place. It was nuts.

Macau was very nice to walk around though. Lots of nice old buildings with Portuguese influence.

I went to Chris’ school on Thursday and helped out. It is a nice school in its first year of operation and they have a brand new facility. She teaches year 6 or the same as grade 5 at home. The students can participate in after school activities and one of them is cooking. So we made pizzas with the kids.

We went to the Hotel Intercontinental for drinks on Friday evening to check out the view of Hong Kong my night. We also went to a Mongolian Grill restaurant where you choose the topping you would like in a stir-fry or on a pizza and then you have then cook it up on the spot. It is a favorite place around here. It was very good.

Off to Dubai this evening or morning. My flight is at 12:40 am.

April and Chris have been fabulous hosts and I have really enjoyed hanging out with them. Their apartment is great, is very roomy and in an awesome part of town, the Midlevels, right by the worlds longest escalator.

Check out the following link for pictures, sorry I guess you will have to paste the address in again. For some reason the link will not work.

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney/MacauAndHongKong

No comments: