Tuesday 14 April 2009

Pyramids, Egypt, Photos


Click on the following link for the Pyramid pictures.

Link for Pyramid Photos

I had an Easter Monday to remember. I spent the day exploring the Pyramids. They were spectacular. I loved climbing around the Giza site. There were three at that location that are approximately 5000 years old! I also had a camel ride around the Pyramids.

I am traveling with a small group of six people around Egypt for the next couple of weeks. It is terrific, we have a guide and it has made life easy and hassle free.

After the Pyramids and camel ride we visited the Egyptian Museum. Man the history here. I am sorry but I knew nothing about Egyptian history before coming and it has humbled me. I am amazed at how old everything is. I will have to do some reading.

At the museum I went into the mummy exhibit. It was so neat. The mummies were from 2100 and 1000 B.C. (before Christ!). It was shocking for me. The mummies were in great shape with hair, skin, fingernails and the intricate wrappings on some of them.

I ate pigeon today. It had a lot of bones, not a lot of meat.

We took a sleeper train last night it was first class and way above my expectations. I am now in Ashwan Egypt at the south and going even further south tomorrow, within 50kms of the Sudan boarder.

Today we visited a Greek Roman Temple (Philae Temple). Again the history, it was from 230 B.C. and was moved from one island to another from 1970 – 1980 after being submerged in the Nile River. Each wall or pillar tells a different myth or story. The legends and stories are overwhelming. My brain is on overload. I also visited the Unfinished Oblisk today. It is a large phallic sculpture made of granite that cracked while being constructed. All of the granite for the temples comes from the area of Ashwan and is transported throughout all the Egypt. This all started thousands of years ago, before Christ.

I am having a spectacular time in Egypt, hope you are all well.

P.S. It was 46 degrees Celsius today in Ashwan!

No comments: