Friday 5 June 2009

Dalyan and Kaş Turkey, Pictures

Currently on the coast of Turkey in Dalyan. It is a nice small town centered around a river, lake and the sea. I took a 30 minute boat ride down the river today to the Med. Sea and spent the day at the beach. I should sleep tonight with all the sun I got. It was very plesant a nice breeze all day, so I am sure some wind burn or colour. Not feeling a burn yet.

I have been taking local busses here and I have to say they are great! It is a large coach bus, without bathrooms though, even though they are modern. They have stewarts on the bus that pass out water and the other day we got free ice cream! My kind of bus ride. I took one the other night for 10 hours to get from the middle of Turkey to the south coast and then had to switch to a mini bus, mini van for another four hours. All in all fine, except the big Turkish women I was sharing a seat with took up quite a bit of room and sat like a man with her legs seperated and her arm resting on mine made mine go to sleep from the weight. Anyway that is rude of me. The night bus was fine.

I should enlighten you on the Turkish bath or a Hamam. Wow! I went the other night and lets just say I cann't wait to go again. You start off with a sauna for 15 minutes followed by a massage on a large warm marble slab complete with exfoliation during the massage. Oh yes and the whole time you are douced with bowls of warm water. After a rinse and exfoliation come the bubbles. Your whole body gets shampooed with bubbles. The women has what looks like a pillow case that she dips in the shampoo she then waks it out making the bubbles and completely covers you in bubbles and then another massage and doucing with warm water. Then a dip in a swimming pool, shower and fresh squeezed orange juice. A lovely evening. I think it is very interesting that they have been doing this since the Romans, or before, I don't know in this muslim country that is very conservative. I have to dress very modest in the villages, pants during the day, shoulders cover etc to respect them, but then they go for these Turkish baths and you are pretty exposed. I guess it is a woman massaging a woman and a man a man and you can go as a couple or segregated by your sex. It is all interesting.

The hospitality in Turkey is wonderful and I am not rushing out of here anytime soon. I should be at least another couple of weeks here. The people are lovely and because I am learning some Turkish phrases they love me even more. They all want to know where I learned. I really know only a few but it is appreciated. It is really hard to retain.

Click on this link for pictures of Kaş and Dalyan Turkey

No comments: