Saturday 27 June 2009

Turkey to Athens, Pictures


You have to love this picture of my Turkish little buddies and a couple of village women. These kids lived by my hotel and were great little gaffers. The hotels are right in the village and because I was there for so long I got to know the neighbours. I was invited into their homes for juice, tea and snacks. They loved me and I love them. It was sad to leave. I loved being immersed with the locals, thanks to Yasar and his friends too for my daily activities and socials. I think if I didn't have this rail pass already bought that you would find me in Turkey in August when I am suppose to come home. But there is still lots to see on my list, so need to get on the move.

I am currently in Athens. I arrived after the 11 hour over night bus from Goreme to Istanbul and then a day walking Istanbul with Jenny from BC. Then to the airport for my flight to Athens which kept getting delayed and was three hours late leaving which put me arriving at the hostel about 3am.

Toured around the Acropolis and main Athens sites yesterday. It was good and hot. Happened across a Polish catholic mass going on at the Acropolis so joined them for communion. The priest was with a group from Poland touring around and they were happy to have an Italian, Canadian and Argentinian join them.

Still trying to plan out the next seven weeks. Looks like I will travel to the north of Greece tomorrow spend maybe a couple of days and then on to Hungary.

Click on this link for a mixture of Goreme, Istanbul and Athens photos

Went to the Archaeological museum in Athens. It is pretty impressive and well done. While there a turtle walked through my legs when I was sitting down so that is a cool photo. I also went to a private museum that had the works of MC Escher at it and it was awesome. He is a great graphic artist with a huge math connection. I have some of his work up in my classroom so that was so cool to check out. I saw it listed in the airplane magazine and was able to find out that it was in Athens. So I was in luck.

No comments: