Wednesday 10 June 2009

Pamukkale Turkey, Pictures

I had an early start today. I was up and ready to go by 6:30am. I was awake so I got up and they said to see Pamukkale early in the morning or late in the day to avoid the tour groups. So I headed out. It was a fantastic morning. Turkey has so much to offer. I came to Pamukkale to see the travertine terraces. There is a spring in the area that has so much calcium in it that over 1000's of years it has left a white precipitate on the side of the hill/mountain. You can walk through part of the calcuim covered area and swim in the mineral pools. Over the years the amount of water in the area has depleted but it doesn't take away from this natural wonder. So if that wasn't enough. After I climbed the side of the hill there are Roman ruins at the top. Hierapolis is here, also spectacular. I spent over five hours exploring this area and finished with a dip in one of the mineral pools on my way back down. It was fantastic.

Hierapolis is where St Philip the apostle was martyred. I am humbled regularly by my lack of history knowledge. I am learning. There is an amazing Roman Theatre here complete with the original stage dating back to the second century. The Roman city is great too. I was visiting the basilica in the ancient city when I happened across an American high school group. They are traveling around Isreal and Turkey following five apostles routes. They broke out into Amazing Grace and it was beautiful. I made my way back to them and as they passed me I said how nice their singing was. There teacher explained what they are doing and that they were from Holland Michigan. It was a lovely group of really nice young people.

There were lots of poppies for me to check out while I was walking around too. I love how the poppies grow against the ruins.

Sorry I have ran out of photo space on the blog so I cann't put up a photo with my write up at the moment. I think I can link it with my other email account but the information at the moment is in Turkish so I cann't figure it out. Incase you haven't noticed the photos are coming from a different account now as that original album is full. So if you want to see any of these picture albums you can get them from this address.

http://picasaweb.google.com/getoutandhavefun

this was the original address

http://picasaweb.google.com/sarahemoloney

Click on this link to see the Pamukkale Turkey Photos

No comments: