Sunday 21 June 2009

Mt Nemrut Turkey, Pictures


I have had an action packed last few days. I went on a three day, two night tour of Eastern Turkey. It was fantastic. It was a little hot. Lots of driving. 16 of us in the van with no air conditioning and a highway under construction so we were covered in dust by the end of the day. It was a bit of a battle to get the driver to keep his window down. He didn't like the wind blowing his comb over we think, but we were hot in the back. So too bad about the hair buddy.

The sites were spectacular. The second day started with a wake up call at 2:30 am followed by a twisty, steep drive up the mountain and then a hike for the sunrise at the big heads of Mt. Nemrot. When we left the hotel it was warm and I was thinking I didn't need my warm cloths, but thank god I took them. At the top of the mountain it was freezing and the wind was blowing hard. It was a full day that ended at 10 pm. We saw some more ruins, a Roman bridge, a dam, a local bazaar, Abraham's birth place and then drove to Harran at the south, 15 km's from the Syria boarder to see the first Islamic University and the beehive houses made out of mud and bricks. WOW!

While at the dam two fighter jets flew over and I couldn't help but think they must be going to Iraq. No worries for you though all is well and safe here. It just made me stop and think.

The air conditioning was fixed and made for a better 10 hour ride back.

I am back in Cappadocia now visiting my local friends and using today to figure out where to next. I was up at 6 am this morning for some reason and saw all the hot air balloons out my window so I decided to go for a walk and check them out. The balloons go out every day for sunrise.

Click on this link for lots of photos of Eastern Turkey

1 comment:

incirus said...

Hi,

I am trying to put up a website about people's experiences in Turkey. www.iwasinturkey.com

Would you be interested in publishing this article on my site with a referral back to your blog.

Let me know what you think.
You can reach me via info@iwasinturkey.com

onur